End Toolbar -->
Search this site..
judicial administrative records request

Judicial Administrative Records

Effective January 1, 2010, Rule 10.500 of the California Rules of Court sets forth comprehensive public access provisions applicable to judicial administrative records maintained by state trial and appellate courts, the Judicial Council, and the Administrative Office of the Courts (AOC).

This rule does not apply to, modify or otherwise affect existing laws regarding public access to adjudicative (case-related) records. It also does not affect the rights of litigants, including parties to administrative proceedings, under the laws of discovery of this state, nor does it limit or impair any rights of discovery in a criminal case.

If you would like to request judicial administrative records maintained by the Superior Court of California, County of Nevada (the court) you may submit your request by completing the Request Form below and sending it by e-mail, U.S. Mail or fax.

  • - Fillable Request Form
    Note: any changes you make to this form will not be saved. Save the completed form to your computer for your records.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I use this form to request case information? (ie: divorce records, criminal records, an order?)

No. This form is ONLY for judicial administrative records. Most case information is available through our Case Information portal. If you still cannot find the case information you want, contact the appropriate department.

When should I use this form?

Use this form to request copies of judicial administrative records maintained by the Superior Court of California, County of Nevada (court). The court will then review your request and investigate whether and when the requested materials can be produced, or if the records are exempt from disclosure under California Rules of Court, rule 10.500.

What is a judicial administrative record?

"Judicial administrative record" means "any writing containing information relating to the conduct of the people's business." Examples of judicial administrative records include, but are not limited to, budget and expenditure records, contracts, and written policies and procedures. See subdivisions (c)(2) and (e)(2) of rule 10.500.

How do I get a copy of a record?

Complete all sections of the request form above and submit it to the court in any manner listed (mail, email, fax). The information you provide will facilitate the processing of your request. Be as detailed as possible. If you are not specific, the court may have difficulty responding to your request and your response may be delayed.

When should I expect to receive a response?

The court will notify you of its determination within 10 days of receipt of your request. In some circumstances (for example, when a voluminous amount of records are involved), the 10 day period may be extended by an additional 14 days. Once the court makes a determination, any responsive, disclosable records will be made promptly available. See rule 10.500(e)(6)-(8).

Will I be charged any fees or costs?

You may be charged fees that reflect the direct costs of duplication or production. In addition, you may be charged fees that reflect actual costs of staff search and review time expended on a commercial use request. Payment may be required before records are duplicated or produced. See rule 10.500(e)(4).

© 2016 Superior Court of Nevada County
Contact | Career Opportunities | Accessibility |